Saturday, November 19, 2016

A letter home from war

Father of my family
Mother of my land
Dear Rome
Great and wise Emperor
Mighty Caesar
So august are thee
I have marched for you
In the cool autumn mists
Of Hibernia
I have climbed the walls
Fought near Pictish rings
In Caledonia
I have crawled
Wounded and bleeding
Upon Roman roads
To Londinium
And I haven't seen my home
In a decade
I was born alone
And have upon this earth
Sought to serve you
And honor your ways
I have roamed
Wandered
As it were
With many good men
Does my family recognize
My voice now as I've aged
Would they hide their face in shame
For the wars we have waged
Dearest Rome
Mighty Caesar
I long to see the hills
But I fear that
My Legion
Will be damned
With unconquered lands
Left to crush
With wild men left to kill
And to the last drop
Of good men's blood
Your dreams shall be
Fulfilled