Friday, October 16, 2015

I have only this, my spirit


“The fates lead him who will - him who won't they drag.” 
Seneca


Angel of death, calling my name
Calling me sweetly, temptingly
I am ready, my book of life finished
The pen is dry, nothing written in any shame
I am flawed, I endured pain
But who was I to think
Any differently
Than the rest
Every breath took me closer to the end
Sisters Fate measured the cord
Cut with precise grace 
They measure first
Then cut 
With no prejudice
They never speak
They never ask
They just know
They have no agenda
But for their service
Their task is their life
Duty is their purpose
Destiny and life
Are the human lot




"There's a special providence in the fall of a sparrow. If it be now, 'tis not to come; if it be not to come, it will be now; if it be not now, yet it will come: the readiness is all: since no man has aught of what he leaves, what is't to leave betimes?"


Shakespeare
(Hamlet, 5.2.214), Hamlet to Horatio