Tuesday, October 4, 2016

Baptism in the frozen river

I saw my flesh transform
From wrinkled and loose
To taught and lithe
I was unaffected by time
The years performed no unmasking
I did not perform in this masquerade
My heart was broken but my spirit untamed
Once when I was younger
I felt too old to exist
I was aware of the world passing
I held out my hand
Held it aloft
I cried for the grieving
Smiled for the joyous
I stood where others could not
I believed in more than I was
This world is a moment never asking
This moment is a dream never showing
How deep in the river we've come
The baptism in these waters
Should have already begun
For there is nothing colder
Than to be alone waiting
Cold and shivering
Until the spirit visits
And you are made free
From the thrall of another
From the fear of a beast
Who makes you shudder in woe
The fear makes you weak
And it wounds
so deeply it wounds
And you are broken
From the pain you cry
From the tormented life
You have had more than you could take
And you bleed and worry
That it is too late
And you feel it
Heavily
In your frozen heart
And wounded soul