Tuesday, September 14, 2010

NUMBED


This despair I have
Never relents
For when something is good
Something else
Replenishes
The pool of sorrow
Remains so deep and full
I linger
Where I can never escape
I’ve been offered means
But they are not good
They replace one pain
With another
Sometimes I wonder
If it woudn’t be easier
To just stop thinking
About everything

"Walter Freeman lifted the patient's eyelid and inserted an ice pick-like instrument called a leucotome through a tear duct. A few taps with a surgical hammer breached the bone. Freeman took a position behind the patient's head, pushed the leucotome about an inch and a half into the frontal lobe of the patient's brain, and moved the sharp tip back and forth. Then he repeated the process with the other eye socket."

“Analysis is like a lobotomy. Who wants to have all their edges shaved off?” David Byrne