Saturday, November 10, 2018

Darkness invited

I always knew you had no love, only lust
The future is something few might see
I hate the capricious whims of trust
That hurts and doesn't help me
This suit of armor has turned to rust
I might sleep, having nightmares, not dreams
Winter of the soul has fallen
My eyes see only white
But darkness has called
It breeds when hope turns blight
Bitter wine upon the snow is poured
I called your name, saw where you'd been
You were gone, and burned the path we'd walked
Our love story seemed now written by Satan's pen
My heart is open, a diary unlocked
I saw it coming, saw the darkness of the horizon
And though I am wounded, and bleeding
I refuse to surrender
And though my soul wind is screaming
You were a pretender
As your love runs dry,
My soul retreating
And now I shake the dust from my shoes
Shrug off the burdens of hope
And rise