Wednesday, June 6, 2018

Closing Time

Someone asked why my heart is always so sad
And there is nothing I can say to make their day
They want there to be a problem
That some miracle medicine can remove
They want me to be for their reasons
In a much better mood
But there are reasons
We have
The sufferers in darkness
There are thoughts that talk
That tell us to leave
There are reasons that you
Whatever I say would not believe
There are reasons for this
I promise
But I want to be gone
Because
I've lived in pain
I've lost dear friends
I don't want to slowly die
I don't want to face again
The death so slowly
That the love of life is absent
I can't live for others
And I can't for myself
Because I've had enough
And who knows if there is a limit
But there is not enough promise
No messages sent
That can make me believe
My presence will change
Any great question
Any great need
I am finished
So let me go
I am not fleeing this place
I just know
I am done
The sorrow is too great
I grieve the day
But there is no tomorrow
That can fix my past
And the pain will last
Far beyond anything
I care to see
Just let me be
Je suis fini
And lastly
What does it matter
That this crowded planet
Be one less body
To feed


“He did not care what the end would be, and in his lucid moments overvalued his indifference. The danger, when not seen, has the imperfect vagueness of human thought. The fear grows shadowy; and Imagination, the enemy of men, the father of all terrors, unstimulated, sinks to rest in the dullness of exhausted emotion.”
― Joseph Conrad, Lord Jim