Saturday, September 16, 2017

By the Lavender Field

Her husband was a loyal vassal
To this blessed land's high king
His greatest treasure was not gold
Nor was it any possession
Rather it was a woman
While of common blood
Rather than royal
She was an exquisite being

Though persons of great fame
They both disappeared from view
He for violent circumstance
She for her demeanor and sorrow
Despite her position and her great estate
No one knew what became of her
Except she was now absent

She was a widow
And completely alone
She wore the hue lavender
Cultivating an acre of the same
She lived in the old castle
Considered by most to be very shy
Her beauty was unique
Her spirit sweet
Gentle and soft
Bright and profoundly kind
Her countenance was forlorn


I never knew what to say
But I was moved by her
Moved by her nature
Her life was tragicDue to the war
She lost her husband
And for other reasons
She'd lost her first born

I heard that she was warm to strangers
And in this day we must be wary
No one is the same
Following the king's demise
His army slaughtered
And lawless bands roaming the land

I served with her husband
On the frontier defending the crown
We were nearly all butchered
Thousands of loyal men
Barely moving, all down

And now the land was wild
No army remained to defend it
She passed from view
But a presence so sweet
Her absence left us wounded

I had seen her eyes smile
Trying to survive the grieving
But she could not respond
When I gave her my heart
So, I suffered a grievous wound
My heart would not recover

The last times of my life
I swore to defend her
In her absence I defend her name
I cannot shake the thought
I was lost
All my days I remember
The lord's wife
And I shake in the pain