Friday, August 7, 2015

I disagree

We think with splitting the atom
Copying DNA and cloning sheep
We are rising above all expectations
After countless generations
We gloat upon our victories
Of our superior minds
And great societies
And wise civilizations
But I ask
Are our accomplishments truly
Worthy of celebrations and glory
Have we had any moment of moral clarity
We remain what we were
We have not risen
We are bestial and needing to kill
We long for the taste of blood
Should the hunter be offered choice prey
Should the prize be given to the victor
How will they not begin the hunt?
Like fox hunts in their primitive revelry
How will the hunger be redeemed
How will the bestial be fulfilled
To slay the innocent foe in ritual slaying
We still thirst for blood
Long since our kind
Escaped from caves and tribal needs
We should know more
Than better ways to slay
Better means to cull
Better traps to capture
Who we are about to eat
We should be aware
By now
That we need not kill to survive
What we do
With each of our acts
Is to pour upon us a sinful baptism
Our sins pour down like a dirty flood
Who deserves such death pain that we must eat
Who deserves to die in ways we cannot imagine
Who are we to demand such from other creatures
Yes our kind is the apex
The highest link upon the chain
What I do
By my decisions how to eat
How to live
What is important to me
And what is frivolous 
How I eat is not from need
But from choice
My sorrow is for my loss
Of the wild in me
The consequences of my life
Can be measured in death's harvest yield
The echoes of my days as a beast linger
Is it really worth another death
To allow me my wildness
Is it anything but cruel
To kill when I might otherwise
Gather from the field?