Thursday, August 13, 2015

no one chooses

No one chooses their lot
It is assigned at birth
No person gets a pass
Everyone endures the curse
And strangely I know life goes on
But I am not wise enough
Or know just how
I've lingered in a vacuum
Of the heart poured out empty
And I've been taught
How foolish I am
To think it should ever change
Some wonder the silence
In the face of sorrow
Some grieve quietly
Without tears or notice
Others scream
Break the pale
By the scream lift the veil
On their endless heartbreak
Attending a wake in my soul
Giving my emotions control
I can no longer stare off
Staring at walls and ceilings
As if in thought
Must now pay attention
To damage from pain
To the life I've wrought

Grieving

“The darker the night, the brighter the stars,
The deeper the grief, the closer is God!”
― Fyodor Dostoevsky, Crime and Punishment