Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Even with wings I could not fly

Credit: Rogério Timóteo
The future is before us
Unwritten, bright
Shining and spotless
Like the Mediterranean 
Because of my father's genius
We will overcome
His hard work
Allowed us this moment
We will fly above the sea
Like the gulls
Like the GODS
He is worthy
I will become so
For the child of a god is a god. Yes?
He is telling me now all these directions
Don't fly too high, don't fly too low
Yes yes I know.
All I have in this life, is my father
I have nothing else, he's given me hope
He has given me my mind's work
Together we have labored
To escape this place
And how exciting
My wings will carry me
Away far away
In the thin sky
Above the sea
Some might fear the method
Some might long for safety
But I trust my father's means
And his skills
And his ways
He is the brightest man
Of the entire Greek sea
Which is why he is
Imprisoned here
I am as well
And we must leave
Or never be free
Like caged beasts
To be pitied
To be of lower class
To be of lesser esteem
My father always said
I was beautiful
I was brave
I was his gift
From the pantheon
Of Zeus
I was not made to be pitied
Nor was he
So we shall fly   
Father said some warnings or such
Certain his workmanship will suffice
The sun is so hot
My wings are melting
They fall apart
I am losing altitude
The sea rushes up
To greet me
Father I have failed you
Once again
Lord Frederick Leighton