Friday, October 6, 2023

Outside of me

I didn't realize how great the impact of loss could be
It'd always sting, like a bite or more, but a mystery
I was so selfish and self driven, I never could see
The losses we suffer, and don't endure are direct
Through the myriad causes of pain, one we feel
Because life goes on, we forget, lose all memory
Perhaps life is a dream, and we are not alive
We choose to see the life left before us, the moment
I'm covered in tears, awash, a sorrow without relent
If we choose to feel every life lost, it'd be a torment
I can't go on, this darkness continues in the torrents
Didn't get an invitation to this life, agony ferments
I wonder if this were a test, if I'd survive
As I wait to see the reality that exists outside of me
I know all I've been is alive, I am the weed
Persisting despite my emptiness
Dying while people care less

“I said nothing for a time, just ran my fingertips along
the edge of the human-shaped emptiness that had been
left inside me.”
― Haruki Murakami