Sunday, May 27, 2012

I will remember










Some return in coach class
Via commercial flight home
Others in the wooden box
Kept in the belly of the plane
War kills
War changes live
Some insist that all are heroes
Some insist on much the opposite
Going off to war doesn't make someone a hero
It doesn't even necessarily make them a soldier
But going to serve does something that I haven't done
It causes them to return changed
It leaves wounds that are silent
There are heroes who are celebrated
Others who never show their pain
No one seeing combat returns the same
For all of their sacrifice I honor them
I remember them
I pray they are blessed
I pray their families remember the lost
And remember their names
Forever
In glory for their service and without shame
For I have not walked or fought in their shoes
And I pray my son doesn't either