Wednesday, September 12, 2018

White Dragon Mountain


Upon the top of the mountain
A large cave held a worm
White and lithe it lay
Upon ice, he brewed storms
His domain was everywhere
Where the world was not warm  

The serpent had scales that were made of ivory
It had a heart that was colder than ice
Frozen were the eyes that stared
He was never defeated, whatever amounts of bravery
There were no more willing, with lives ready to sacrifice
No warriors could be enticed, without offer of reward

With breath of freezing
And claws that tear
The serpent reigns without fear
For his power is endless
And the humans below
Were filled with despair










“And though I came to forget or regret all I have ever done, yet I would remember that once I saw the dragons aloft on the wind at sunset above the western isles; and I would be content.”
― Ursula K. Le Guin, The Farthest Shore