Wednesday, February 24, 2016

Unguarded, unarmored

I was covered in steel
Trained in war, a killer of men
Raised to be a warrior from a boy
I was a knight and man
She was innocent
Filled of a certain joy
I was deeply moved
By her gaze
Her scent
Sound of her voice
When I heard her
Thought of the moment
And possible future
When I caught her in my eye
Our souls would collide
It felt as if we merged
Our love became as art
Deep called to deep*
I looked and her beauty
Ripped my comfort apart
Her beauty became inducing
I was in trouble
Repeated blows to my breastplate
Straight to my heart
Loving her was beyond confusing
Requiring the deepest faith
In the reward of love
Because I knew it was true
But getting to the union
Where we both could stand
Was glacially slow
When would we be
Together
And find communion


*Psalm 42:7