Monday, July 24, 2023

The Final Test

I can't pay the bill, it is a cost I can't afford
My life is far too expensive and worthless
I have nothin', keep paying more, yes more
You'd think, wouldn't you, there'd be more
Than I've ever found, and exactly what for
What is there, what is there, nothing at all
And it burns hot inside me, inside my core
I wonder if there's ever been a point of this
If the moments of joy ever equal the despair
If the times of triumph will outlast my defeat
Sooner or later, in that moment I find hope
The mortician arrives, in black suit and hat
He says he is coming to take me home
In the end, all I will do is laugh, at last
In emptiness we've nothing but existence
Ready, at last, and I've finished the test
I have answers to the questions I asked

All in exchange for forever