Saturday, June 17, 2023

Lost in expectations

Walking past the barbed wire fence, I began to wonder
Why do I live, am I frightened by lightning or thunder
My endurance is belied by this abject hatred of being
I suffer to the endless waves of apathy and entropy
Given a gift of life, why do I see it as being burdened
Let existence be celebrated, I may need your pardon
I've no trust in promises made, nor of stories or fame
Others are pushed to do more to escape a false shame
Life is meant to be more than consumption and greed
Life begs for answers, unfettered by reasons or need
Caged in by the fences, by limits grieving one's soul
Give in to abandonment, give in to having no control
Or all you love will be torn asunder, shattered, lost
Stop having expectations or you must pay the cost
Restore your personal agency, and reach higher
Or the life you live will not be called your own

“Non nobis solum nati sumus." Cicero