Sunday, August 22, 2021

Wasteland

We are told by society exactly how to think
And we are told by the pious how to live
We should be free and reject all they tell us
Nothing they do will take over my path
The depth of lives can't captured in ink
Our ideals and joy are found only within
They might try and might well be zealous
Absolutes are found only in the aftermath
My conformity for the sake of society
Will create an empty notion of worth
I've not believed myself full of talents
My existence has been mine to lose
My life's companion has been anxiety
Know that I know that I've been a curse
Lost in a world of malice, and silence
I'll be judged for the path I've chosen
I'll have fallen, long since gone from view
Whatever happens I still refuse to grieve
I won't miss losing what I never wanted
My existence is not for others to control
I can't feel guilt for innocence I never knew
Life's offerings hollow, without reprieve
Life has taken everything, and I'm haunted
But now I am solely responsible for my soul
And whatever has happened, is my own
Passing over the land, once held promise
I know still that the future is unwritten
But I've seen black earth turn to sand
I am neither the hero, nor the villain
I am me, and that is my role