Saturday, August 21, 2021

Like Lazarus

Wrapped in a burial shroud, ready to leave
Like Lazarus, my flesh has died of a disease
I've resisted any help, choosing instead death
I've been offered new life, a gift few receive
But I'm cautious, I never wanted new breath
I wanted it to end, don't want to be deceived
Existence is but a second, forever is eternity
I don't need this body to endure
I don't need to go on living
Life has lost all the allure
I am finished, let me be
Despite loving those I love
Please keep forgiving
But I've had far too much
Wrap me in a shroud
Don't worry over things
Tears and kindness are allowed
But I am finished, I've had enough
Say goodbye, I'll miss your touch
But eternity begins soon, look for me there
I'll be waiting, standing behind the veil
Welcoming the lost and renewed alike
Without a moment of regret
Let the shroud of mist rise
And take me home