Tuesday, August 10, 2021

Not Going to Be Friends

Your stuff is packed
Take your payment
Take everything
Just let my penalty be paid
Because I knew
I can't be what you need
And I am tired of failing
Exhausted by expectations
No one wants to acquiesce
It is a trap set by choices
And we've nothing to say
That can make us whole
Our view is changing
This long cold separation
Leaves me so old inside
We agreed to never go back
Give up trying to change
So our families were told
We are done, still friends
But it all came to an end
But as for me, I lied
I can't be a friend
All I was, was your lover
And I can't watch you
Find another
I came here to be here
No place else mattered
Shattered
Broken forever now
It breaks me knowing
We can never go back
To what we once had
But that thing is gone
Gone forever
Gone for good
And now that you've gone
I know I am alone
I love you
And I love you still
I always will

“What’s broken is broken—and I’d rather remember it as it was at its best than mend it and see the broken places as long as I live…I’m too old to believe in such sentimentalities as clean slates and starting all over.”  Margaret Mitchell