Monday, August 9, 2021

Love's Walls

Her words wind through my mind
Like a snake through my insides
I can't forget the impact or path taken
I can never hear them again
She had no way to change
Comforted with her stern ways
As I had no way to live
By her rules or expectations
The lessons of my failures remain
She had a will so thick
Greater than the walls of Jericho
She was immutable, and inexorable
Her path taken, not negotiated
I could find security in her arms
This righteous person was able
Wise, powerful and true
Knowing the lessons of history
Vast amounts knowledge known
Each and every wall tumbled down
This sanctuary couldn't save me
When she left me
We both became shadows
I was lost in the darkness
I contemplated suicide
But I can endure, even rise
The walls can be rebuilt
I can heal from my guilt
Of never being enough
Regardless of the love
Shared between us
I have a future
Will be aware
Over the rest of my time