Saturday, September 18, 2021

When the Devil Knocked

The devil knocked upon my office door
I answered it, and asked what he wanted
He said I had lived in a state of madness
That my life had been spent like a whore
And I could be free from being haunted
My life had spun upon a false world's axis
And he asked, why do you keep fighting
Why do you wonder if the world hates you
The darkness is comfort as well as blind
Why do you live in the shadows of night
Why do you flee from all you know is true
Wouldn't it be easier to commit suicide?
I said no, I'd rather burn, feel the pain
Wounded with uncontrolled bleeding
No surrender to apathy
Nor admire entropy
Pain's not the problem
No I've become insane
Offered my flesh up
To all the sharks for feeding
Denied all hope, all kindness
Even my flesh lost all ecstasy
I said goodbye, closed the door
Then I heard him let out a cry
For he had lost everything
Even if I had nothing
I had victory, my soul remained
The devil left emptied
After trying all his lies