Tuesday, September 21, 2021

One Soldier Walking

With air so dry, my throat cracked
The punishing heat drained my being
Still I walk forward, in a dust storm
Lone, survivor of the many warriors
We were unprepared for the attack
And so thirsty that visions were seen
The tribesman attacked without warning
As aliens in this land, we'd paid the toll
But nothing could have prepared us
For the desert steals your comfort
We paid the cost, in the foe's lair
We were fools, of course we were
And acted as if we didn't care
Simple men, foolish soldiers
For we were the empire
These primitives were the foe
But I was just one
And I represented the empire
Before the endless sea of sand
And the teaming many
Who would die to defend their land
Against invaders from beyond
Against any who appeared
Like me and my comrades
And those damned like us
For the time to come