Friday, September 10, 2021

To the Abyss

I was accused, tried and convicted for speaking my mind
Amazed, confused, didn't know you could be executed
For being a person disliked, a person unpopular, a fool
I faded into the gray, my life over, I was hung by rope
A vast ocean of life experiences led me to this place
Two coins upon my eyes then lifted and taken away
I'm standing ashore, overwhelmed by great emotion
The coins had paid my toll, soon I shall leave by boat
My physical form weak, as memories reveal my stain
Charon is the oarsman, his cold guidance most vital
My soul is now hollowed, emptiness, I failed
Few could ever understand, how I brought shame
To reach terminus upon the river Styx, this is the way
I will be judged, convicted, and then cast in the abyss
The path began the moment I was born, always scorned
This journey to Hades, underworld, so long awaited
As my tears fall down, I'm shattered, I begin to choke
I shake, I'm triggered and release a scream most primal
And the assembled populace of the underworld laughs
There I stand, nude, powerless and deeply aggrieved
All my life I wanted to be first, but I'm now the last
The gathered condemned all felt the same
And en masse so enjoyed my angst