Sunday, November 7, 2021

The Wasteland I'd Created

Not king of this world, but instead of a circus
My life could've been one of hope, promise
Temptation proved greater than my purpose
I followed as it led me, the beacon of lust
Acting when and where envy lured me
And I allowed a river of anger to run
Holding upon the most bestial greed
While it determined who I'd become
With false public statements of regret
I then became the prince of the wasteland
Only one who had tossed it into the abyss
Could've known how destiny would twist
I've never been alone in doing this
If this world is now breaking
It was me who made it forsaken
None can know of my awareness
Of the life lived, always mistaken
But it was alone that I've earned this
The fetid evil kingdom I now have
Across fields emptied and barren
Into cities wholly abandoned
The buildings skeletal remains
They were hope in a future
One that never came