Tuesday, July 13, 2021

Choices to Make, Consequences to Follow


How would you choose between evil and good
Do you burn inside with regrets, or with anger?
If you had the power that could change the planet
And the lives and species upon it, would you?
If you could do whatever you wished, would you?
If the devil himself asked "What's your pleasure?"
How much would you be interested in the deal?
Could you face the truth? What's your soul worth?
Given the power to choose, my whims entertained
The only thing that would possibly ever tempt me
Is to punish the bullies from my past by my hands
I know I am not God (nor am I the Devil)
My judgment is clouded by my own mortality
My revenge fantasies are deviltry from Hell
The world I exist in is far more complex
Than my limited wisdom could possibly explain
While I long to give the bullies great pain
Perhaps I've committed crimes as well
Deserving all such judgment just the same

“By Fortune's adverse buffets overborne
To solitude I fled, to wilds forlorn,
And not in utter loneliness to live,
Myself at last did to the Devil give!”
Johann Wolfgang von Goethe  FAUST