Monday, May 31, 2021

The Dead Men Fighting to Live

None of us were ready to die without a fight
Our entire cadre had all survived our ordeal
Struggle for one and all to arrive at this place
The end of the festival meant the final battle
Trumpets called, crowds amazed we survived
The end of the contest was our final call
We had always practiced a martial art form
The action in the arena for the week was wild
As crowds loudly screamed for their heroes
Booing lustfully every one of the villains
And they wanted all sides to die gloriously
In the day's hot sun, we'd soon pass over
Uneven sands covered in ichors and blood
The sweat and bleeding poured down my arm
Wounds from near strikes do not worry us
Nor the broken ribs and wrists, and skulls
Non fatal blows do not block our forward path
Given a chance to fight for my freedom
My hand proven in battle, I'd bring wrath
And then as I woo the emperor's charms
My survival here will let me be freed
And then, in that new world, what will life be
I'll need to learn to be a freeman, a Roman
Who escaped by battle a cruel and bestial world

“Do not act as if you were going to live ten
thousand years. Death hangs over you. While
you live, while it is in your power, be good.”  Marcus Aurelius