Friday, May 7, 2021

Enough isn't enough for me

Shouting and hitting the other
They still thought it was love
But they were wrong
So much violence
With every touch
What's it all about
How does this happen
Is never being happy
But happy enough
Some goal to seek
Never having doubt
Is enough to stay together
Even if there is no love
When the two are apart
Is the passion in kisses
The sex you have
The love you make
Some kind of higher place
Than actually liking your partner
Or loving their mind
Coveting their attention
Desiring their time
Is it leaving one in question
As to being worthy of trust
Or letting them twist in the wind
Isn't love more than multiplying
Making the church and vows happy
Isn't love more than rings or is it lust?
Is it deeper all the while
Just for some oath
Or secret words
More than love songs sing?
I don't know all I feel is hope
And I don't see that in them
I know who I am, regardless
But I want to understand
Because I don't recognize that
And they say it is love
But what it is, I don't know
From a distance I can't say
But offhand? I'd fail the test
I'd say I might as well be damned
If I can't find love
The way it is supposed to be
Why should I accept less