Tuesday, November 24, 2020

Solitude

The food I eat
The life I live
You've never understood
Much less willing to forgive
But even if I put a needle in
Felt the rush of venom inside
Finally saw the lights grow dim
I'd know I'd found a place to hide
You see it all as a manic weakness
My life a comedy, a trauma
A panic in a crowd
I see it as escaping the fire
You see me as a tragic impurity
And victim of need or desire
But I know the world outside
It is one that longs to devour me
Needs to consume my flesh
But I am still alive
Watch as my soul survives
Pity your own darkness
One that exceeds my own
That you assume I must have too
I am aware of my own flaws
Exposed as I seek the truth
My quest reminds me
Of the many reasons and clues
For why I prefer no company
Than worry over being alone
I'd rather be silent, and wounded
Than to conform to what you require
I am free to be myself and refuse to become
What you want and need from me
I am me, that is my sole legacy