Tuesday, November 17, 2020

A still life

I spent my life wondering when I'd be lucky enough to die.  I'd learned enough to know, the world wasn't meant for me. More than once I tried suicide.  I failed, just like the loser I was. My pain couldn't pay the cost to let me be redeemed.  Instead, I thought perhaps I should forever just sleep. In sleep I might finally live a dream.  But my dreams had all become a nightmare. Sleep was no respite, but my curse's lair. Then I met the one with red hair and realized, she was my home. Maybe I was alone for so long that I couldn't see the good things for dark trappings of my soul. My life changed in a very short time, burning with a fire, not from lust, but hope.


“Hope is the thing with feathers
That perches in the soul
And sings the tune without the words
And never stops at all.”   Emily Dickinson