Friday, November 6, 2020

Criticisms foolish, artless

This empty society is vapid, fecund
Childish, fearful, and insecure
Her criticisms are foolish and artless
I may know nothing, and still
While I crawl into my casket
There embrace the darkness
As it rises, swirling
The quiet there numbs thought
Rescues me from my life
For it is so thankless
As night awakens my senses
I become aware of everything
From the whispers of the living
To the sighs and pains of the dead
Black sky becomes my blanket
Covering me, it comforts me
Smothers my ever awakened fears
Awkward childish thoughts are shed
A life seen through bleary tears
But all shall pass from view
With the burning
With the rising
Of the night's holy shadow
These words are shallow
Like the grave I sleep in
But remember me
For I'll to come life again
And upon that great day
I'll tell you what it's like
To speak with the dead
And to return
Again
In hoary wakefulness
Or as I walk as a sleeper
I know
Nothing here is permanent
Only our soul calls
At the gates of the night's keeper