Tuesday, March 2, 2021

The Conflict

If in this story of humanity
There is a suicidal urge
Or an evolutionary surge
All might be gained
Or just as easily lost
Human progress comes with cost
Our wisdom comes with difficulty
Should the future be distant
If it is to be without hope
Or a desire to rise above
Clouded by the hatred of wisdom
Or the stunting of knowledge
In violent ideological conflicts
That in truth there are wars
Between two forces
Revolutionaries and the orthodoxy
The ultimate battle will be fought
This will decide our destiny
Whoever wins the war
A future will be decided
Human progress enters regress
Or forward motion again


“An intellectual is someone whose mind watches itself. I like this, because I am happy to be both halves, the watcher and the watched. "Can they be brought together?" This is a practical question. We must get down to it. "I despise intelligence" really means: "I cannot bear my doubts.”  Albert Camus