Friday, March 19, 2021

Meat + Spark

If my flesh is just meat
And my spirit a spark
How do I measure a life
Or the love inside me
Inside my soul and being
How is one to start?
Will you end this existence
Made of smoke and illusions
Knowing you are unsatisfied
Forgiveness cannot redeem
When the heart is missing
What a being has sacrificed
Cannot be measured fairly
Without contrition in one's heart
How can I recognize all of the lies
All the ways that we're in
The exquisite masquerade
Wearing masks
To avoid honest words
To foil intimacy
So let me be renewed
If I am unworthy
Let me die
And if you are willing
Please let me start anew
With a new body
And a spark inside
Let me live or die
In knowing what is true
Even if I'm unworthy
I seek your majesty
I deeply desire to earn your trust
To be worthy of your beauty
You are all I long to find
All the days are empty
And will remain so
Without you

"It's easier to bleed than sweat, Mr. Motes.”  Flannery O'Connor