Friday, May 13, 2022

Nails

What is life meant to be
I asked will I ever be free
From all those foolish fears
And the things that sorrow me
I was on a path, my vision clear
But my sight was clouded
My life filled with tears
For this life has been a disease
One which I've no hope for a cure
As this world beckons and calls
With every failure, every flaw
Desiring to narrate my fall
And the cold pit and mire, deepens
Aware my flaws that cheapen
Every dream and hope I have
I've become enslaved to pleasure
Of the flesh, unto my death
I am the living flaw beyond measure
Nothing I can do will free me
My soul would do well to flee me
Give me another chance, I'll fail
My soul is made free by the nails
Led my savior to suffer and bleed
His was the sacrifice I need
To escape this fragile flesh
And take my final breath
I have victory, won for me
A freedom from my needs
For eternity, at last I can finally see
The chains that imprison me
Have been broken
I surrender, all that I am
I give all I have, to have nothing
To see all of eternity before me

“An unbelieved truth can hurt a man much more than
a lie. It takes great courage to back truth unacceptable
to our times. There's a punishment for it, and it's
usually crucifixion."                        John Steinbeck