Sunday, January 10, 2021

The truth is...

You said that you wished I'd love you
But it is worth saying
You're romantically involved with someone else
And it is true that they probably love you
The truth is that you want a safety net
Sprawled wide below
So you might jump or by accident fall
Whichever way you might go
I don't find it appealing that you love me
Or would want to do so
If I were too, too
Nor that you'd leave one relationship
To enter one with myself
I don't find in me the desire to cheat
I know that I am loved
But even if I did not
I'd simply leave before I betray
Because she is someone I love
Rather than make plans in the darkness
That I might forever be with a partner
No matter how unethical I am
Or as immoral as it might seem
I don't leave one, to have another
No matter how easy that might be
In your eyes