Thursday, January 21, 2021

Freeman

They tried to make us live lives worse
Than caged animals in a zoo
We had been born under a curse
Of slavery
Wrapped in chains like a beast
That if free it would feast
Or a rebel needing to be free
Finally
I'd a thirst so deep, I could barely breathe
A need so vast I fell upon my knees
There was nothing I'd do differently
Even if this attempt took my life
My flesh torn by the journey
From the chains of captivity
Those remaining behind
Were a sort of residue
Memories of a legacy
Of a world that needed to die
Now I understood the truth
All men are equal from birth
For days I planned my escape
Even if I died in the attempt
Not one more day would I labor
For those who held me in contempt
Freedom was the only thing I could see
A longing so great, I could understand
There is no difference between us
Than our outward appearance
Slavery of man requires all to lie
To keep one from being the same
A lie to keep one people down
In chains, upon the ground
Now that I finally breathed free
The air I once knew is fetid, vile
The old ways of life are rotting
With a foundation that had to go
To know what we all deeply already know