Sunday, October 6, 2019

She faded from view

I watched her in time, die, she faded before my eyes
Now no more future plans nothing but the gray lands
She was done with her life, had paid the toll with strife
How many remember her name, or the infinite shame
Of never knowing why she was, who she was, as do I
She was a complicated creature still a gentle teacher
Giving important lessons to live by, to know her by
Because we will all fade, disappear, even decay
Memories can be our guide until the end of the ride
What is there left but those who are now bereft
Save the final escape into the infinite gray?
I am awash in the madness of the fetid human existence
I've seen those I love pass, for there is no resistance
I know that I spent my life waiting for the day
When I could before my judge finally to him say
Let me be in your tabernacle, where the others dwell
Let me sing to the king of Heaven, not a human Hell
Let me be with those who I love and miss
Who died and reached this place long ago
Let me rise to the heights and there ascend
To know the truth from the one who knows
Let me become a holy shadow
And become a welcome being in your home


“As a newborn baby each of us was helpless and, without the care and kindness we received then, we would not have survived. Because the dying are also unable to help themselves, we should relieve them of discomfort and anxiety, and assist them, as far as we can, to die with composure.”
The Dalai Lama