Saturday, August 27, 2022

A Voice Not Silent

It is said that in each epic journey there is a humble beginning
And along the way to quest's end, many memories imprinting
But this can't be said for me, I was born as a result of a rape
That act of hate at conception, an origin less human than ape
A violence committed, stealing legitimacy, honor, and a life
But if my flesh was threatened with damnation, I survived
The world about me sought to have me silent and dead
Nobody hears cries of the innocent or the illegitimate
My path is focused upon my new existence instead
I've never been silenced, I will never embrace fate
My life remains to be lived, and I am not a stain
Whatever my origins, I've been given new life
And I have chosen destiny for my journey

“Dripping water hollows out stone, not through
force but through persistence.”               Ovid