Saturday, July 11, 2020

All Night Drive


Rain makes it difficult to drive at night
But it feels to me like it cleans the streets
Rain or not, the night is the time to cruise
Traffic sounds are muffled or hushed
You can drive the loop in minutes
Easily over an hour in daylight
It gets even longer with snow or sleet
All the while listening to 24 hour news
Frustration grows deeper in the rush
Modernity pushes sanity to the limits
Driving through the night is the thing
I am happy though
Few understand this perspective
I'll sleep soundly in the tomb
In the calm, my soul finally is able to sing
We are not fallow, we are not shadows
We are those fools
Who refuse to enter the collective
And I refuse to enter their womb
This is life, conformity is not
To live for many becomes somnambulism
In order to survive they walk in their sleep
Existence replaces their agency with order
Complacency replaces metabolism
Humanity becomes sheep

Sleep is a death, O make me try,
By sleeping, what it is to die:
And as gently lay my head
On my grave, as now my bed.

Sir Thomas Browne