Sunday, May 26, 2019

Starr over Wisconsin

They said he was a knight
Going into battle with honor
Respected his enemy
Fought with valor
Never cheated to win
A code was his reason
A way was his life
A warrior's heart within
Allowed him to lead
In coldest weather
He remained
Through injuries and disasters
He remained humble
Despite fame
He was humble in a graceless age
His way led others to fight
With a similar flame
With fire inside
He burned
Not for wealth
Not for glory
To inspire his comrades to rise above the field
Giving of his life to others as a leader he knew
The best leaders serve
Not from desire but to allow all
To share in the laurels of victory

Bart Starr was my hero growing up. He remained so throughout my life and I am wounded by his passing.  And yes I know all people die.  He lived a long wonderful life that inspired many, including me.  And I am sad for the loss of all who admired him, but grateful he was alive for me to know.  (Yes I did meet him).