Wednesday, May 29, 2019

Chains



It was sort of sacred ground
Daily I'd push a boulder
Against gravity
From lower ground to hill top
Then to watch it shift, and fall back
And roll back down
But I continued
My labors didn't break me
I was shoved down in a hole
Covered in shit and fetid refuse
Made to be mute and in misery
You wanted complete control
Still, my love you're left confused
This disease that is lingering
Is my refusal to be on my knees
Now or ever
You cannot shame me
Or place the blame 
The same place
You cannot do what you please
I smile as you kick my face
Bleeding or wounded
Nothing you do
Can place me in chains
For I desire only my freedom
And my soul is free


"You have already grasped that Sisyphus is the absurd hero. He is, as much through his passions as through his torture. His scorn of the gods, his hatred of death, and his passion for life won him that unspeakable penalty in which the whole being is exerted toward accomplishing nothing. This is the price that must be paid for the passions of this earth. Nothing is told us about Sisyphus in the underworld. Myths are made for the imagination to breathe life into them. " Albert Camus