We left our harbor a month before snows should fall
Carrying cargo for trade but armor and arms for all
It wasn't a raid, at least not yet, there was a chance
Saxon shores, Frankish domains, providing choices
First we unloaded our cargo, as exhausted we slept
Then saw the sky looking angry, and left the Franks
But the winds drove us to west to the Angles coast
The ship wrecked, so we unloaded, heard voices
And the armed men from Norwich saw us as foes
Gathering ourselves, stopped repairs, and armed
Two lines of men charged one another, screaming
In one moment lives ended, changing everything
My companions won the day, but many died
I'm one of the dead, my kin haven't been told
But I'll be replaced, our people are fertile
Carrying cargo for trade but armor and arms for all
It wasn't a raid, at least not yet, there was a chance
Saxon shores, Frankish domains, providing choices
First we unloaded our cargo, as exhausted we slept
Then saw the sky looking angry, and left the Franks
But the winds drove us to west to the Angles coast
The ship wrecked, so we unloaded, heard voices
And the armed men from Norwich saw us as foes
Gathering ourselves, stopped repairs, and armed
Two lines of men charged one another, screaming
In one moment lives ended, changing everything
My companions won the day, but many died
I'm one of the dead, my kin haven't been told
But I'll be replaced, our people are fertile
