Saturday, October 8, 2022

Instead of Me

I'm aware, you don't dream of me, think of me or anything
But I do you, nothing can stop me, even in my dreams
I'm aware you never looked beyond the moment or me
I'm not afire in your memory or thought of the moment
If I'm alive in today, I can't afford a bit of regret
If tears fall, they fall without sorrow, a time to relent
I look at you across the way, see what might've been
Knowing that life offers chances, circumstances, zen
From near to far, light of a new day rises on the horizon
I swear, if I never see you again, I'll somehow endure
Somehow dealing with the fact you ignored my pleas
You never wanted the truth, instead you chose deceit
I walk in shadows, I know that I'll never be seen
Content in that, I can choose instead to dream
That one day you'll see me for who I am
Instead of the foolish idiot that stood
Standing now in a place instead of me
Oh lord, where did that feeling go
The one love that might redeem me
The one that allowed me to be free
That allowed me to be young again
That let me be in love, back when