Sunday, December 11, 2022

Not for anything I can do

Everything I do kills me, if a little, all I am will fail
All I do leads me to death, trapped in a prison of flesh
My life has been a sacrifice, bled until I've turned pale
My being broken by every single path that I've chosen
Wounded and bleeding, I give a prayer as yet unspoken
As the world surrounding me, the sharks smell blood
I can barely offer a defense, against their total flood
I've caused the walls to break, along with my heart
My being has been enslaved to the pleasures it craves
All things lead me astray, leaving my body scarred
My flesh is temporary, my spirit can be released
Even then, I've waged a losing war against sin
If I can find any forgiveness, in the body pierced
His blood can buy my release from the chains
Chains that I've placed myself in