Tuesday, June 21, 2022

The Spilled Chalice of Love

My heart would bleed all my love, flesh and bones
For our love was a fortress, impregnable, invincible
The marriage was a forest fire, fiercely ever burning
Knowing if my flesh would pass, the love would last
But in the dark I stare out at the fallen walls of stone
I see the burnt remnants of a pristine forest scene
Living what my darkest fears could be, I do know
The worst pain isn't loss but being cold and alone
Asleep in the flesh, and dead inside my soul
I have prayers but I've been through Hell
What more could be taken, I don't know
But I'm broken, no longer whole
There's nothing left to take
Nor promises to make
Je suis fini, je suis fini
Pas plus s'il vous plaƮt
I'm so done
So very done
All hope is gone
And now, I've nothing left
And I have even less to give

“We fight it down, and we live it down, or we bear it bravely well,
But the best men die of a broken heart for the things they cannot tell.”

                                                                                    Henry Lawson