Tuesday, April 12, 2022

As if I were a Fool

I've spent my life being told that I was moody and wrong
They never said I was just different, only that I'm worthless
But they were wrong, I couldn't lie then, as I was still innocent
But I don't easily smile for photographs, and I refuse to be fake
I'm not happy on demand, for those many who hate emotions
I still refuse to understand why I had to be someone I was not
To make them happy, in a world that is so cold, hard enough
Hard to endure misery, the darkness inside, than impose rules
To make sure I'll behave so that I'll be perceived as content
But if I do, then I'm a fool, I can't lie to make others happy
I can't be who I am not to make others feel as though I agree
Because I don't and I am not willing, to surrender my life
I refuse to do that, I know I only get one, so why ruin it
For others who judge you, without knowing your heart
Why bother, why worry, let them flee your company
You will be better off without the scars