Tuesday, January 28, 2020

The Midnight Path

After the dance
With a love I lost
Of a life embraced
Without measuring cost
I walked along a midnight path
Where few before had tread
Between the twilight's wrath
And dreams that leave me dead
Who am I to question
That which steals from me
The desire to end the quest
Endure the nightmare dreams
I am alone all the while
With no place to find home
My flesh has worn away
Leaving nothing but bone
I long to leave but cannot
I am chained to my past
Where my path has led
I will endure, live unto the last
Remembering nothing that I've said
There is nothing in the beyond
That you can earn
Nothing you can dispel
If the anger burns
So I keep it in
The urge within
To escape
To endure my own rage
I've allowed myself to be a slave
And there is nothing left but
My own bad intentions
And failings
How I've failed
Oh God save me
For I cannot save myself