Thursday, January 9, 2020

A Knight Interrupted

She was able to change forms
A spirit of the natural world
Her being composed of sparks
The idea enough to take shape
I'd given my oaths and had served my King
I rode beside his wagon train
Of maidens and men of arms
To distant Camelot
A single knight of the Table
Enough to ward off foes
And there it happened
She was glimpsed in the wood
Far from the eyes of normal man
A momentary flash
In the eternal enchanted land
I touched my sword hilt
But then released
I had no need for defense
This was a wood of the fae
An aura of peace, comfort pervaded
I needed to be aware still
For the fae are notoriously capricious
Taking whim as invitation
Where they walked they left a sheen
A beautiful remnant of energy
They can be heard in their home
Laughing at the waking world
And our kings queens and nations
Still I told the wagons to halt
Take up positions of defense
I would explore this interruption
And make my way into the green
Soon my mind was amazed
All I could see was colors, no shapes
And I felt the presence of one
Who bore no alliance to the living
And refused to linger with dead
She was a dream come real
She was a secret without a clue
I felt her presence near me
Brilliant elegance that glowed
And soon fell deep asleep
I woke after the most perfect time
I lived a life I never could have known
And when I walked from the wood
I felt remorse for leaving
What I now understood to be
The land of enchantment
Where dwelled in majestic grace
The Faerie Queene
Her castle, and her throne
For that moment of glory I experienced
I knew forever I'd be changed
The land of enchantment can be seen
By letting the real world fade
From your imperfect gaze