Wednesday, January 29, 2020

A Creature of the Night

You cannot tell me as a creature of the night 
That it is required for me to seek your light
You cannot know how it feels to hunt prey
Or know the native feeling of when we slay
A kill does not darken me nor fill me with glee
Yes, I possess knowledge and the visceral feel
But my hunt and need does not arise from evil
Nor does it come from a desire born primeval
I am more than a man, even more than a beast
My prey taken down is more than a feast
Acting upon the nature that I've been given
I am not evil, don't ask to be forgiven
You are blind, not seeing, this is a drive
I cannot avoid it, it keeps me alive
I am a creature who hunts for need
Foolish sermons I refuse to heed
So know that I'm a creature of the night
Created by one who knows only light
If my life is a result of a dark or evil curse
Why did my creator not keep me from birth