Friday, September 6, 2019

Just a boy

You held my hand and said look at the stars.  I looked above, straight up, seeing little white dots.  You wanted me to know wonder, and joy. All I knew were the scars from the turmoil in life, wearing a rusty cross, but I smiled, after all, I was just a boy. 

My life was never lived outside your shadow.  I watched as the darkness and sorrow grew.  Time and murders of crows watching, left me in fear.  Crows aren't evil.  But somehow, I knew, they were called by one who wanted me to be aware, and this brought tears.

Day after useless day, I walked from the quiet to the school. But that wasn't living, not life.  It was a sort of drama, and the curtain fall brought dark.  And I was only alive when in the light.  Speaking on stage, my soul's sole delight.

So instead I found a place to hide, where I birthed a new life.
One made of those characteristics that I saw and admired in others.

This was not me.  But it made me happy.



“The loneliest moment in someone’s life is when they are watching their whole world fall apart, and all they can do is stare blankly.”   F. Scott Fitzgerald