Sunday, September 15, 2019

If I regret

I live without fear, but I have so many regrets.  Looking at my reflection in the mirror.  Seeing myself in glass, first I know, I am flesh, a being without permanence, no lasting time, no pretense. 

Having lived through many lifetimes in few years, I have nothing to show for it.  All there is, is love,  hope, and regret.  I can repent, I can pretend, but, all I really have is tears.  Nothing else.  There is nothing left.

So do I go forward, if I regret?  Do I continue and make the same mistakes, because I am unable to change? Why do I bother, in the face of all I do, that wounds me, wounds others.  If I regret, why do I go on, into oblivion?

“In their images they had thought to find some small immortality but oblivion cannot be appeased.”  Cormac McCarthy